Wednesday 22 October 2014

Currently reading: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Yes, I'm late to the party. In fact, the party is almost drawing to a close with the looming first part of Mockingjay to be released in cinemas before the end of the year.

However, I've finally arrived and loving it! I remember the first Hunger Games film coming out in 2012. The only thing I knew about the phenomenon was that it was a book trilogy. I was intrigued but not enough to investigate. I come from the Harry Potter generation you see, and because of this I've been too complacent to form attachments to any other major book series slash movie adaptions since. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Twilight.) 

But I couldn't walk away from a reduced copy of Catching Fire in HMV last weekend (50p!) and so my Hunger Games addition begins.... 

I started The Hunger Games on Sunday and I haven't been able to put it down since. I've been reading countless chapters before bed, filling my lunch break with it and sneaking in pages while spending time with my family.

I've essentially been neglecting everybody in favour for this book - and I'm okay with that.

Written in a simple prose, the story follows Katniss Everdeen who has volunteered in the annual Hunger Games, a televised bloodbath between 24 teenagers, two from each of the twelve districts. The main aim of the game is to kill and the last person standing is the winner. 

This brutal event is used as a way to control society and remind its residents that the government, called Capitol, holds ultimate control. (I'm sure 99% of you already know this, but spare a thought to the 1% that missed out on the craze as I nearly did.) 

I'm really looking forward to finishing this thrilling first instalment and can't wait to start the next two!


| follow me | tweet me | email me |

1 comment:

  1. I read the whole series in a whirlwind about two years ago - it's not your regular trashy YA :) You've got a treat ahead of you, Amanda! x

    Tamsin / A Certain Adventure

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...