Thursday 8 May 2014

Currently Reading: The Good Children by Roopa Farooki

The Good Children - Roopa Farooki*
I don't have any book reviews to share with you at the moment, so what I thought I'd discuss the book I'm currently reading instead. 

I started The Good Children a couple of weeks ago but haven't managed to make much progress with it as I've been busy. And I've gotten into a horrible habit of forgetting to take it to work with me. (Being bookless on a train is awful!) 

The Good Children is set in the Punjab in the 1940s. It follows a strict family and the theme of honour and obeniance is constant throughout. It follows the lives four siblings, Sully, Jakie, Mae and Lana. 

At times it's heartbreaking, one example is that the two young boys are unable to do anything else but study. Their mother wants them to succeed, wants them both to be doctors for no other reason than to brag about them. 

This desire and pressure is forced upon them so much that they don't have time to be children... They can't play, they're not allowed to go to the cinema. They just get beaten and told to study harder. 

I'm really looking forward to having some time to myself this weekend to really emerge myself in the story - I think it's going to be a good one! 

What's everybody else reading at the moment? 

*A big thanks to BookBridgr for sending me this copy to review!

| follow me | tweet me | email me |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...