Saturday 22 February 2014

How They Met and Other Stories by David Levithan Review


 In the UK, February is the month of Valentine's Day and LGTB History Month, so what better way to celebrate both than to read a romantic LGTB book?! Although, I must admit, I didn't realise that most of the stories in this book had a running theme of sexuality and identity until I started reading it. But it was a happy coincidence. It also made me realise that I hadn't read many books with gay characters as protagonists, so that was something I really enjoyed.

This book is a book full of mini love stories. As the title suggests, the main theme is about how the different couples meet. Each story was completely different to the last, offering up different genders, sexualities and ethnicities. I've never read David Levithan's books before, but heard a lot of great things, and I must admit, he writes each character with authenticity. Despite what the cover would have you to believe, not every story is a happy romantic one. Some were about heartbreak, loss and unrequited love, but these stories were just as interesting to read as the happy ones.

One of my favourite stories is about a young couple that meet on an aeroplane. They're sitting next to each other and are reading the same book! I've always fantasied about making a friend that way. One of the main criticisms I have with this book, however, is that some stories seemed underdeveloped in comparisons to others. But after reading the prologue, I realised that some of these stories date back to when David was in secondary school. He used to write love stories for his friends as Valentine's day presents, and these are the stories that are featured in the book. It is obvious to see how his writing style has developed and improved over time.

Overall, this book is a very enjoyable read. I really liked all of the different characters and perspectives David offered up. However, some stories seemed underdeveloped, and sometimes it was hard to imagine characters fully until half way into the story as their gender was not addressed straight away. A very lovely read none-the-less, and if you're looking for a sweet collection of YA stories, then I'd recommend this one. 

Favourite Quotes:

"We'd said we'd keep in touch. But touch is not something you can do from a distance. Touch is not something you can keep as soon as it's gone, it's gone.  We should have said we'd keep in words, because they are all we can string between us - words on a telephone line, words appearing on a screen."

"The minute I knew I was in love was the minute when there was no question about it."

"You have to believe there are kisses and laughs and risks worth taking." 


| follow me | tweet me | email me |

2 comments:

  1. I'm not really into short stories most of the time. I prefer something which gives me more insight into someones mind. But other than that I really enjoyed your review. If you are up for it, I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award :)
    http://karolinasbookshelf.blogspot.de/2014/02/the-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's so lovely that you've nominated me! :)

      Delete

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...