Tuesday 4 February 2014

February's book | Light (The Night Has a Thousand Eyes) by Francis William Bourdillon

As a part of my 2014 Book Challenge, I am going to be reading a different book each month from a writer that is displayed on my Waterstones Literary Quote calendar. This months writer is Francis William Bourdillon, who was a British poet and translator. I absolutely love the design of this months quote, the beautiful mint greens and pinks sum up valentines day perfectly to me. (And it's colour coordinated with my room, which makes me very happy!)

The quote on the calendar is taken from Bourdillon's most popular poem, Light, although is often referred to as The Night Has a Thousand Eyes. The book challenge was slightly different this month, as rather than reading a whole book by the writer, I just read the poem that the quote was from. I tried to find an anthology of Francis William Bourdillon, however, had no luck, so had to make do with reading his poems online, instead. 

I've always loved poetry, and have quite a few different collections lying around that I dip in and out of. So this was a good opportunity for me to kickstart February by reading a poem: 



"The night has a thousand eyes, 
And the Day but one;
Yet the light of the bright world dies 
With the dying sun.

The mind has a thousand eyes, 
And the heart but one;
Yet the light of a whole life dies
When love is done." 

- Light by Francis William Bourdillon 



I really enjoyed this poem, and think it's so appropriate for this time of year. To me, the last stanza is about how your brain can jump from thought to thought with ease, however your heart, has only one true feeling, and that's love. And without love you are not living, you are merely existing. (It might sound very cheesy, but I believe it's true.) 

February is such an important time for me, as my moms birthday is actually on Valentines day itself. (I've actually just finished wrapping her presents!) And this also gives my boyfriend and I an excuse to celebrate Valentines in our special special way on a different day to most people. But regardless of if your single or taken, I think February is all about showing the people you love just how much they mean to you.

I'm also thinking of indulging in a love story this month due to it being the loved-up month. I have already read quite a few Nicholas Sparks novels and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (OMG. Has everybody seen the trailer yet????) So if anybody has any similar suggestions for books that could warm the cockles of my heart this February, let me know by either commenting or tweeting me @amandajtweets


| follow me | tweet me | email me |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...